Monday, May 5, 2008

Big love

As Mother’s Day fast approaches, I thought I’d take a minute to pay tribute to one of the most amazing moms I’ve met in the past year (aside from my own of course). This is Katy Therriault of Fairfield, mother of 3 year-old Billy who has suffered from a disease called Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) since he was a tiny baby.



The poor kid can barely move, can’t swallow, has a feeding tube and needs to have multiple procedures done on a daily basis to make sure that his lungs are clear and to prevent him from getting something as simple as a cold which can be deadly for him. Amidst all of his trials, you’d better believe that his mom Katy spends every minute of her day making sure that he has the absolute best quality of life that he can.


I only spent an hour with the family but that was the biggest impression that I came away with. Katy has help from her husband Scott as well as multiple nurses but it was obvious that she is his primary caregiver. Her dedication and love were so evident and overwhelming. Aside from Billy’s tough path, he sure is one lucky kid to have a mom like Katy.

No comments: