Monday, May 5, 2008

Wingin' it

For my entire photographic career, I’ve always been pretty crafty at making the most of backdrops that aren’t much of anything into something somewhat believable. I rarely shoot in studio type scenarios but a friend of mine needed some portraits and as a change of pace I thought what the heck---let’s give it a whirl. Not to reveal my secrets (wink wink) but these images were all taken in my totally dusty and disheveled basement.





An old remnant of red velvet helped to punch up a backdrop, the stabilizing beams were a nice item for Michaelyn to lean against and Ol’ Glory, which has been hibernating in my rafters until July 4th, added just the right touch of Americana to her Red Sox portrait. And Freddy-D, I’m still using that primitive light kit you sold me eons ago. It makes me cringe when I meet photogs who think they need to have most expensive and best of everything (equipment-wise that is). My advice? Just kick around the basement and put those creative juices to work instead!




No comments: